Controversy over free speech and NY attorney ad rules

Over at the Legal Blog Watch, Robert J. Ambrogi notes the recent controversy over new NY attorney advertising rules. This is an important issue that puts legal ethics and free speech squarely on a collision course.

Through the Bar Association of SF, I'm moderating a lunchtime CLE panel discussion on April 19 that will discuss the new rules proposed in California regarding attorney advertising. See proposed rule 7.2 which, if accepted, will replace current rule 1-400. Scheduled panelists are blogging and podcasting attorney Denise Howell, Anne Brick (of the ACLU), and Paul Vapnek (of Townsend & Townsend & Crew and co-author of the Rutter Group's ethics practice guide). More information and registration information for this program is available from the Bar's website.

I'm closely following what's happening in NY in preparation for this panel, and welcome input on how the California rule may fair under the First Amendment, whether it is good or bad policy and what alternative solutions (if any) would make sense. (I'm hoping that the BASF will let me podcast this CLE, but I haven't gotten word if that will be permitted... Stay tuned.)

Add new comment