Friends or Foes? The Public’s Battle with Data, Privacy, and the Internet | The 2020 JOSTL & PILJ Symposium
For more information please visit the Symposium website.
As evidenced by recent European and U.S. state legislative actions, information privacy has come to the forefront of the conversation about personal privacy. U.S. privacy laws are “in flux,” while the rights and abilities of various entities to collect, monitor, use, and disseminate individual information have been the subject of substantial recent legal development. The conversation about the interaction of civil rights and data privacy promises to influence the progression of privacy laws and litigation.
The 2020 Journal of Science & Technology and Public Interest Law Symposium will examine the scope and boundaries of privacy protection for personal data, including artificial intelligence, sexual images, biometric information, and personal information, and their implications for civil privacy rights in the context of an increasingly data-driven internet, government, and business climate. The objective of the program will be to elevate the conversation about the intersection of data privacy and the public interest, incorporating civil rights concerns over the proliferation of information technology, and ask what more should be done to protect the individual and the public interest.
Speakers & Presenters
- Annie Antón | Professor, School of Interactive Computing at the Georgia Institute of Technology
- Lindsey Barrett | Staff Attorney and Teaching Fellow, Institute for Public Representation, Georgetown University Law Center
- Danielle Citron | Professor of Law, Boston University School of Law
- Antigone Davis | Facebook
- Mary Anne Franks | Professor of Law, Miami School of Law
- Eva Galperin | Director of Cybersecurity, Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
- David L. Gerbie | Associate, McGuire, P.C.
- Carrie Goldberg | Founding Attorney, C.A. Goldberg, PLLC
- Woodrow Hartzog | Professor of Law and Computer Science, Northeastern University
- Riana Pfefferkorn | Associate Director of Surveillance and Cybersecurity, Stanford Center for Internet and Society
- Michael Lamb | Chief Privacy Officer, RELX
- Gabe Maldoff | Associate, Covington & Burling LLP
- Tyler G. Newby, Partner, Fenwick & West LLP
- Carolyn Parziale | Senior Manager, Price Waterhouse Cooper
- Jessica Silbey | Professor of Law, Boston University School of Law
- Peter Swire | Professor of Law, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Ari Ezra Waldman | Professor of Law, New York Law School
- Anthony Zaller | Employment Litigation Attorney and Founding Partner, Zaller Law Group, P.C.
- Stacey Dogan | Professor of Law, Boston University School of Law
- Ahmed Ghappour | Associate Professor of Law, Boston University School of Law
- Andrew Sellars | Director of the Technology Law Clinic, Boston University School of Law
- Jason Walta | Deputy General Counsel, National Education Association