Musings from CFP '14

Earlier this week I had the opportunity to muse conceptually at the 2014 Computers, Freedom, and Privacy conference in Warrenton, VA.  Kudos to co-chairs Nuala O'Connor and Amie Stepanovich and the CFP '14 program committee for a fantastic event!

During a 10-minute late afternoon Fire Talk, I offered some brief thoughts about resilience and autonomy in cyberspace. Specifically, I wondered if the evolution of communications technology (and its associated trends and/or architectures) truly is empowering society or transforming it back to a more centralized, more dependent, and potentially more authoritarian environment -- and if so, does that mean individuals, organizations, movements, and cultures are becoming less autonomous and/or resilient?

By way of background, I first explored these transdisciplinary (technical, legal, cultural) concerns back in 2001-2003 during periodic guest lectures at the National Defense University. In the years since, as a self-declared cyber-contrarian, they've never been far from my mind -- and in recent months, I've considered the prospect of revisiting them more formally.  As such, this week's informal CFP Fire Talk was the ideal place to begin that process.

Add new comment